Arisia, Parents, and Monty Python: What’s in your wallet?

So Saturday at Arisia was okay. I went to a couple panels and the Junkyard Wars competition. I rooted for the team made up of WPI students, but they came in dead last since their contraption kept tipping over.

There were several periods in their schedule with NOTHING going on. Hopefully Anime Boston will avoid that problem…but at least we’ll have stuff scheduled. From 5pm to 7:30pm, I don’t think Arisia had anything on the schedule. With nothing better to do, I got in line for the masquerade and read the various flyers I collected.

Before the masquerade, Arisia put on “Trial By Jury”, the Gilbert and Sullivan comedic opera. …at a sci-fi con. The performance was good, but it seemed highly inappropriate for a sci-fi con. It just seemed to reinforce the idea that Arisia isn’t really sure what kind of con it really is. There were people in the halls dressed in Star Trek uniforms, ren faire garb, and historical clothing ranging from 25 BC through 1914.

Anyway, the masquerade finally started. There were some pretty good entries, but then it ended quickly and abruptly. Only 10 quick entries. TEN! I think they had 25 or something last year. They didn’t even have enough to give out awards by class (Novice, Journeyman, etc.). If I had known they were that hard up for entrants, maybe I would have entered with my Gene Starwind outfit. (One of the entries was Lum. I felt kinda bad that they were one of maybe two entries that didn’t win anything.)

Anyway, I hung out for a few more hours, went to a few room parties, and then checked out the dance for a bit. It was snowing pretty hard outside, so I took a cab back to where I parked. (The T had shut down for the night and I didn’t feel like taking the Night Owl bus and walking from the T stop to my car anyway.)

On Sunday, my parents came by to see my place for the first time. They arrived early, so I hadn’t finished picking up. The dining room table was still covered with stuff and I hadn’t taken out the trash. We went to dinner at Applebee’s and then came back here.
Dad watched football while Mom puttered about in the kitchen.

Yesterday, I went up to Burlington and met them for lunch at Chili’s. It was pretty good…and much better than my last Chili’s experience (where stuff was hardly cooked). …and that’s about all I accomplished yesterday. I just sat on the couch the rest of the day and recovered from the weekend.

Today, it’s back to the job search. I got a call about an hour ago from a company that I sent my resume to about two weeks ago. I had just about written them off. Anyway, some HR guy is supposed to call me at 2pm tomorrow for a brief phone screening interview. That’ll give me time to go back to and figure out which position it was I applied for. After I remind myself what they’re looking for, I’ll know which of my skills I need to sell. (I think it was a web designer position, not web developer.)

Oh, and I had a weird dream the other night. The group of us who are dressing as Card Captor Sakura clow cards at Otakon were up on stage during Otakon’s masquerade…dancing to “Knights of the Round Table” from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That was a weird dream.

January 22, 2002

Tags: , , , , ,